Nanwai King’s College School has officially been accredited as an International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) school by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) to become an IB world school. This means that starting the academic year 2021-2022, NKCS is authorised to deliver a full IB Diploma programme that will offer students opportunities to earn a full diploma after two years’ studies.
An IB World School refers to a school that has been certificated by the IBO and has the qualifications to teach IB programmes. The IB curriculum system includes four programmes: PYP, MYP, DP and CP. The application for each program is a long process. For a new school (which has never offered IB programs before), it can take three to five years from application to authorisation.
The IBO is the largest international education organisation in the world and ensures its academic quality for all of its IB programmes via its quality control systems. The IB authorization is not once and for all, all IB schools are supervised by the IBO. The Diploma programme has to pass an evaluation and review process every five years and only schools that continually meet the standards of the IB can maintain their authorized status. Schools that have not obtained IB certificates cannot teach IB programs, nor can they register students for the IB or organize students to take the annual DP exam.
The IB Diploma Programme
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) is an academically challenging and balanced two-year pre-university programme for students in Grade 11 and Grade 12. Drawing on the strengths of other international programmes, the DP is one of the most influential international education programmes in the world and is committed to developing students intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically.
The IB Diploma Programme consists of six subject groups, namely: Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics and The Arts. Students choose one subject from each group – three at higher and three at standard level – including an English and a Chinese language course, and meet the requirements of the core modules, which are Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essay, and Creativity, Activity and Service (CAS). Most importantly, NKCS offers a Bilingual Diploma. This is prestigious and any student completing high school with a Bilingual Diploma will be better placed in the international college and university application pool.
Benefits of the IBDP
- Obvious advantages for further education. The DP program diploma is widely recognised and respected by the world’s top universities and employers, among which Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, Oxford and other world’s top universities all favour DP graduates. Studies have shown that DP graduates are more likely to be admitted to the top 20 universities in the world than their counterparts.
- Cultivate well-rounded students with international-mindedness. Through its core subjects, students develop intellectually, emotionally and socially, reinforcing their personal and interpersonal growth. DP is taught in a global context, where students learn at least two languages, explore ideas and issues of global importance, and enhance their understanding of different cultures.
- Encourages breadth and depth of learning. DP students acquire knowledge through breadth and depth of learning. They are required to choose six courses from six subject groups, among which three courses must be high level, enabling students to explore more deeply areas of interest within the discipline.
- DP students have excellent time management skills. DP students develop a variety of learning skills, a positive attitude towards learning, and excellent time management skills to handle multiple pieces of work at a given time, which prepares them for higher education and the workplace in the future.
- DP students are exempted from some university courses. Students who have undertaken HL subjects can be exempted from taking similar courses in universities – they can choose advanced courses or graduate early, which may save time and tuition fees.
The IBDP Authorisation Process
According to the authorisation process and standards of the IBO, a school must pass a very strict evaluation and only when it fully conforms to standards in school mission, educational philosophy, organisational structure, qualifications of teachers, teaching skills, school facilities and curriculum system can it be authorised.
IBDP Authorization Process Timeline
From submitting the application to IBO, becoming an interested school, to becoming a candidate school, from preparation and practice, receiving a consultation visit and authorisation visit, to finally being authorised, two years were spent on the authorization process.
The IBDP at NKCS
Looking back at the journey from the establishment of Nanwai King’s College School to the authorisation of the IBDP, NKCS has been appraised and recognized by the IBO for its advanced school philosophy, rich educational resources, core management team, experienced and high-quality staff. Every member of NKCS, from the board to the “IB learner community”, has been committed to supporting and promoting the implementation and development of the IBDP and nurturing leaders of tomorrow who are knowledgeable, innovative and caring.
After becoming an IB World School, NKCS can receive a variety of teaching resources through the IBO, participate in worldwide teaching forums, communicate and share with IB teachers around the world, and obtain the most cutting-edge education information. In addition, advanced facilities, rich resources, experienced leadership and qualified staff will ensure the quality of the IB Diploma programme offered at NKCS in the future.
Come and join us, we look forward to seeing you on our IB Diploma programme.